Please keep in mind its a beater stock so I just threw it together but its been on there for a few years now and shoots just fine. The barrel channel is advertised as for military but there are no steps so a few minutes with a file and should be good to go.

[Linked Image]

The tang is deeper on a 1640 than a M98 so you need to drill out the rear action screw hole and bed it. You can also see on the right hand side where the bolt release for M98 has been filled then a notch cut for the 1600 bolt release.

[Linked Image]

It needs to be sanded/filed down quite a bit around the rear tang to fit the different contour and side safety. Also need a little bit of epoxy around the bolt notch. I used putty for all these bits knead it till it fits then sand it off.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Trigger guard is one piece plastic but I have no concerns about its strength. The only thing I don't like about the stock in general is that they are very square around the edges of the blind bottom. I have just rounded these edges off with a file and painted - hence the horrible brown colour smile. I have also filed/sanded down the stock just leaving grip panels where needed. The whole stock when new is covered in a stippled surface - actually pretty nice. You mention a Houge stock - it would be impossible to convert because of the rubber coating it has. The Choate is no McMillan but it works, its light - this is a 8x57 with a 21.5 inch tube and with a long action Savage 110 plastic magazine follower its 6 pounds on the nose sans scope and rings. Its as good (stiff) as most standard synthetic factory stocks and its a nice lil project that's cheap.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Loosecat; 04/20/13.