Update on the HVA project.

With a light weight '06, I was looking for lighter bullets for more manageable recoil.

I tried several combinations, but this one seems hard to beat.

130 gr. Ralph Council bullets ahead of 59 gr. Big Game with W/W cases and WLR primers at around 3,000+ fps. Haven't clocked it yet.

[Linked Image]

Now, that could be luck, as I only fired three rounds. You can believe I've already loaded another batch.

And, I know, this doesn't fit all the rules. The '06 doesn't shoot light bullets as accurately as heavier ones and there isn't a full caliber of bullet engagement in the case neck. And Council bullets are benchrest fodder, not hunting bullets. (Ralph did say they work good on game.)

And, the crown on this rifle is hand done with a hacksaw and a hand tool from Brownells. It has a very carefully executed, concentric eleven degree target crown, using a padded vice, not a lathe. This was necessary to clean up the wear and tear at the end of the barrel.

And, it's just an old Husky barrel, not a high end replacement. Although after the "circumcision", the bore looks pristine thru the Hawkeye scope.

Oh well... blush

What can I say... cool

DF