Originally Posted by ColKlink
The M70s I have seen have all come out of the Winchester custom shop. You really don't need a lot of gunsmith bucks to have a M70 in Lott if that is what you want. Mark Penrod will re-chamber a M70 Safari Express and re-stamp the barrel ".458 Lott" for about $125-$150. At least that's what he charged me the last time I had him do one. I think the only reason Winchester insists on chambering the production M70 in .458 Win is stubbornness because they designed it. They need to admit to themselves that the Lott is a superior round and there is really no reason for choosing a .458 Win over a .458 Lott, very few folks would do so, and give their customers what they want.

I am no expert on big bores but this is my take too and why when I went 458, I went Lott. After all, you can shoot the Win cartridge in the Lott chamber so, as far as I know, there is no advantage in the 458 Win (if I need correcting in that let me know).

The recoil in a properly built rifle is "manageable" and not the worst kicker I've been kicked by.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/13/13.