I also live at sea level and like to hunt high. I've gone back and forth on this and try to experiment with something new every year. Last year I basically did main site crossfit with stadium runs mixed in. I did pretty well in the mountains but I feel like I could have done a bit better (having a newborn at home didn't help since sleep was at a minimum and training time was short).

This year I pretty much stuck to powerlifting for the first few months of the year. About 4 months out from the season, i.e., now, I'm transitioning to more endurance training. I just started one of the programs from Gym Jones and like what I see so far. It essentially has 3 smoke session weight training days mixed in with 2 long cardio days and two rest days. I'll use one of the long cardio days to do stadiums for 60-90 mins. The one thing I don't like about CF for hunt prep is that it mentally prepares you that it's only going to suck for 20-30 minutes. I found myself going like a bat out of hell on the mountain for about that long and then I started looking for a break. This Gym Jones program sucks for longer, which may address that mental conditioning. I just don't know if one can train for a long day of suck in 30 minutes.

You all need to evaluate your needs as a hunter when it comes to your training. If you're carrying everything on your back, you will need to prepare for those loads. If you're headed out with a guide and a daypack, I'd focus more in on cardio & endurance. My hunt will be on horseback so the hikes will be hours, not days in duration and the load on my back will be light. I'm training accordingly.

I also found a way to get to altitude a few days earlier this year for which there is no substitute.

As for the snorkel, I don't think you'll see a real benefit. I asked a cardiologist friend about wearing a gas mask and he said that while I helps strengthen your diaphragm (as I recall), it does not simulate less oxygen- it just makes you work harder to get it.

Last edited by Woodhits; 05/19/13.