Originally Posted by Cocadori
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by Partagas
18-20 miles the short way over Deer Creek Pass. You can get into the area multiple ways, from inside Yellowstone, up a couple different creeks on the North Fork before you get to the east entrance of Yellowstone. These routes I believe are a little longer but not quite as steep or rugged.

The trail in from the Nine Mile trailhead inside the park isn't bad, but it's a long way.

There is a trail that goes from the Elks Fork south over the top and into the head of open creek. There really isn't a pass there though, you are pretty much right on the peak. This way would be pretty high and then you'd have a pretty good trip down Open creek to the Thorofare.

The trail in from Moran at Turpin meadows would be pretty easy but again long. It takes about 8.5 hours horse back, with only one pretty easy pass. This is the way we usually go but we hit our camp before the Yellowstone or the Thorofare.

Like Partagas said there are several ways in. But none of them are short or easy. I see a few backpackers in there every summer. Usually they are resting in the middle of trail to scare my mules. grin

The way in via Elks Fork is a bitch... and good luck. That way isn't maintained very well. At least it hasn't been since '06 I know when I opened it back up a bit it hadn't been done for quite a while. There's a long stretch of riding over large chunks of razor like rocks about as big as pumpkins that'll test anyones footgear and it'll tell you just how hard your pony's feet are...

Deer Creek will test your fear of high places ;-)

Via moran is the easiest... long though. But easy.

I'll be heading into Hawks Rest for a week in Aug. We're using the Moran route.

Took a few young pony's in a while back and now we've added the dreaded "backpack" in our training/desensitizing program as this always seems to get the string pretty riled up... good for a wreck for sure...

You're right, Deer Creek will test your fear of heights. I hunted with Bill Perry in 2011 and the scenery is unbelievable. Camp was at the southeast corner of Yellowstone. Actually hunted within 200 yds. of the park boundary marker one morning. Going over the pass, I had an understanding with the mule I was riding. Told her that I hoped she didn't want to die that day as I had no plans to. As another post said, you will see country that very few people have ever seen.