Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Today I checked-out a 2005 Taurus SE from a private owner. MUCH nicer than anything similar on a used car lot. 110K, 3.0L, not beat-up too badly. It will need at least front tires pretty soon, if not all 4. Other than some slight seepage from the valve cover gasket, the engine bay looked clear of oil, as did the driveway & curb. If it's still around after the weekend, I'll have my mechanic give it a going-over before I make an offer.

FC

Well, the mechanic gave it his blessing, excepting for an exhaust leak. I bought the car, & paid the mechanic $225 to fix the leak. First Ford I've ever had in the driveway.

Over the past few days, I've made the boy skin his knuckles by replacing plugs, wires, cabin and engine air filters, and cleaning the throttle body, mass air flow sensor, and idle air control valve. There's nothing like a little grease & blood to help the boy bond with his vehicle. That, and the fact that he drained his piggy bank to bring it home. wink

I told him that it will be up to him to make sure that the car goes another 110K miles. We'll find out if he's up to it.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC