Well I never shot a 458 Lott, but I was dumb enough to get conned into carrying a 577 Nitro that a friend had at the time, it was a Double and it came in at about 18 lbs. One day was enough, and I knew I would not be able to shoot it accurate enough to even matter. I had a 375 H+H for a rifle on that hunt. He had the double and a 404 Jeffery. I killed every thing I wanted to shoot. I had 60 rounds of ammo, and took home 45, ten head of game and 5 shots to check zero. over ten days. My first run to africa I just took a 7mm RM with hand loaded 175 gr Nosler Partitions back in 1971 and shot every thing with it and what I could not, my PH was gracious enough to let me shoot one of his 375 H+H. With so little DG hunting being done these days, I question the need for anything more than 375 or one of the 416's in a hunters battery. Any combo you could think of 7mm RM + 375 H+H or 416 Remington/ Rigby, 30-06 + 375 H+H and well the 416 or 338 Win Mag/ 416 Remington/Rigby or any other combo you can think of. The main thing is to go. If I was in the position to go again, I would just take a 7mm RM and some good bullets we have a lot more of them now than in 1971 and just enjoy the fact that I am on Safari ! Most only get to go once or maybe twice in a life time.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov