Get 'er done all by myself. Here's how it went down.

I hemmed and hawed and mulled things over for a couple of days reading the posts here. Some said NFW doing yourself and some said no prob.

Did the cost-benefit analysis. $80-90 r/t insured to ship to a smith in the Lesser 48 + smith charges, so about $110. If I fupped duck, I'd have send it down for a d&t oversized screw hole. One gent here did offer his services for free (tip of the hat to Jim Kobe.)

I started with a 5/64" drill hole freehanded and fairly well centered. Then a 3/32" hole down same hole. Tried super gluing the 3/32" into the hole and torquing on that assembly. No go as the glue bond broke. Thought about drilling the next hole size up, but recalled someone mentioning the LH drill bit. Light bulb went off - extractor!

Went to local hardware store and bought a spiral extractor for $2.50. Worked like a champ - mission accomplished. I will say that I was siding with folks that said once the screw snapped, there should remaind screw head would have no tension on it and be and easy out. Not the case. It should a fair amount of torque the entire way of backing it out - and it was a blind hole.

Sometimes you just get lucky. smirk