When I think of Minnesota, among things that pop into my head is "iron mining." Were you to hike where iron deposits and/or slag heaps might cause your compass to show magnetic north to vary in vector, quality of your compass' magnet becomes much more important than for most other users.

I own and use four compasses. While I cannot recommend the compasses that best mitigate the "magnet thing," I'll identify them.
Silva 515 (360) - designed to be used with grid maps and/or orienteering.

Suunto KB-14/360 with declination adjustment, available with and without reverse azimuth - sighting compass, very easy to use while being less flexible than the others.

Brunton 5010 Geotransit - tremendous compass overkill, that has the most powerful magnet generally available (NdFeB).

Brunton Com-Pro - less tremendous compass overkill, that also has the most powerful magnet generally available (NdFeB).
If safety is your rationale to include a compass in your kit, one the the Bruntons having a NdFeB magnet - there are several models - is your safest choice, not necessarily your most convenient one.

Hope this helps.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell