Originally Posted by oldshot
Can you elaborate? I'm a florida guy so , for example, I can swim a half mile in a half hour- I can play 18 and carry my clubs-- where does that get me? It's pretty flat here as it was in Illinois--

The altitude will be your biggest problem. I suggest you come out early, and give yourself some time to adjust. It's better to go up in steps. A few thousand feet at a time. I live at 8000 ft here, and the first time I go up to timberline in the spring it takes me time to get used to it. You're coming from sea level. It will be much harder. Do a lot of aerobic training.

How much strength you need will depend on how you do the hunt. If you use an outfitter they will haul out the elk for you, so that takes the hardest part of elk hunting out of it for you. I'm 70, and hunt alone. Trust me when I say getting the meat out is the hardest part.

Plan on hiking a lot of mountains. So, building up your leg muscles is essential. You'll be carrying a backpack of some sort, plus your gun. Work out on some hills in your area. Then wear a pack, and gradually add some weight to it. Try to simulate what the hunt will be.

The most important thing is to have fun, and enjoy the whole thing. There's nothing like elk hunting. I've been at it for 60 years, and I still get excited.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 09/17/13.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.