I just did this last year, bought a 600-Mohawk, spare bolt, other parts and a stonemint Mtn. Rifle 7-08 STS tube, which came off the Classifieds hereon.

I then found a Brown stock for it here and Brownell's bottom metal here in Canada and bought a Timney.

I was putting it together when I had the opportunity to trade it off for some of the fine gunsmithing done on several of my other rifles of which I have far too many. So, since my lady and I are now pensioners, I did so with some concern.

I was kinda unhappy as I want 1-2 "ultralight" rifles in 7-08 and .308Win. for mountain hunting as I ain't young, no more and a lighter rifle/pack means I may still be able to hunt BC wilderness and enjoy it rather than suffering just to show myself I can still do it.

Then, a sts. Classic shorty, Edge stocked and modded by Martini Gunmakers in .308 came to me and I was happy when I installed Talley-Brockmans, older Leupy short Vari-XIII in 1.75x6 HD and the package weighed 6-10...a REALLY useful rifle.

Last Christmas, I got the chance to buy an "as new", STS full custom Remmy Seven, all guts new, slabbed, tuned, printed, 22" Mtn. Rifle sts Gaillard, Edge KS handle and now with Talley QDs and a Leupy VX2-2x7 and that replaced my 600-M, which was a neat little piece and "perfect" for so much of the hunting which average hunters actually do, rather than just fantasize about.

So, if you were to call some custom smiths and gunstores, you could very probably locate and then purchase a 22" Mtn. Rifle "take off" tube in 7-08, my first choice by far of these "short-standard" cartridges and if you wanted to restock in synthetic, there are several options.

The .284Win. sounds good and I may be mistaken here, but, I suspect that the C.O.L. of this round when loaded with most hunting bullets would be too long for the 600 action. So, it would not run faster than does the 7-08 and the brass is harder to find, you lose a round in capacity and I would not choose this in THIS action, but, would if I could find another short STS New Haven Classic 70.

Choices, we are SO blessed to have them and must always be vigilant to keep them!