Originally Posted by FOsteology
I can't speak for the .416 Rigby in either as I've never owned one, and quite honestly the cartridge isn't my cup of tea. So I speak in generalities in regards to the two rifles in question (I own both).

Out of the box, I prefer the M70. The action is smoother. I prefer the safety. The weight and balance is better. The stock feels better in hand, and shoulders better IMHO.

The CZ 550 feels like an unwieldy club in my hands. Too thick, and too heavy. Prone to crack/break, so having a cross-bolt installed and a proper bedding is essential. The action is gritty. I absolutely hate the backwards safety.

I do however prefer the scope mount setup for the CZ. Cut out and milled into the receiver, I personally think it's stronger, although you are a little limited in choices. Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with the Talley QD rings for the CZ 550. Virtually bomb proof.

If intended for DG, it is advisable to have both rifles gone over and tweaked. AHR can address all the issues and concerns with the CZ 550 (safety, trigger, stock, etc.)

The M70 IMHO needs less work and $$.

Both actions make for an outstanding DGR

If going the synthetic stock route, IMHO and IME the ONLY way to go is an Echols McMillan for the M70. The stocks geometry is outstanding.

Several options for synthetic stocks exist for the CZ 550. However, none of the current patterns are very good. The discontinued AHR pattern from McMillan was hands down the best. Wish it was still available.

FOst,

My reason for liking the .404J so much, other than it's awesome history, is the ability to put that round into a mag length M-70 w/o that much alteration. Just can't do that with the .416 Rigby. I guess the .416 Rem is OK, it just doesn't light my fire.

And, one can load the .404J to match the .416 Rigby. JB popped my bubble on that statement, stating he could load his .416 Rigby up to .460 Wby levels. I was wanting to hot rod the .404J to match factory .416 Rigby loads, but he called my hand on that one. The .404J actually has a slightly larger bullet (.423" vs. 416").

To me, an action big enough to accommodate the .416 Rigby is pretty big and bulky. Some seem OK with that, so different strokes for different folks... smile

That's my story and I'm sticking with it... cool

DF