Originally Posted by fluffy
Ive been seeing positive reviews of both.which is the campfire consensus better budget rifle?
Im leaning toward the Ruger because I can get the boy a 243.

Im home sick with the flu,and bored.

Having not gotten past the aesthetically obnoxious lozenge shaped bolt knob, I've not looked into the 783. Just as well since my .308 RAR fills the inexpensive, foul weather hunting rig niche in my armory . Other than not simpatico with any Hornady bullet I've tried so far, my RAR shoots dang good with several Nosler bullets, 155 gr Berger VLDs, 155 gr Scenars and Barnes 130 gr TSX. Predominantly Sub MOA 3 shot groups but is prone to open up to 1-1.5 MOA for 5 shots.

One problem with the RAR that has cropped up recently is with extra magazines. The magazine that came with the rifle works flawlessly. I bought a spare magazine and the second and third round occasionally hangs up in the magazine. I notified Ruger CS and they promptly sent a replacement magazine. That one also hangs up the second and third round but not as often. Perhaps the spare magazines will become more reliable with use.

It may be (or maybe not) notable that the original magazine has a smaller polymer paddle/cartridge lifter whereas the two spare magazines have a slightly larger aluminum paddle.