I started out with a reloading setup my Dad/Uncle bought, but hardly ever used, back in 1970 or so. Read/re-read the Lyman manual that came with the set, and managed to load a bunch of 30-30's that actually went off, and the game was on. It's a bug that doesn't seem to ever go away.
In many ways, the ready availability of information (and mis-information) on the 'net nowadays has hurt as much as helped. Figuring things out on your own is a great learning experience, IMO.

Originally Posted by Ringman
pseshooter300,
To answer your posted question, I read books and applied the info.
After reading only a couple posts I decided to give some advise. Remember the number one priority is not safety, it is having fun safely.
1. Never have more than one kind of powder on the reloading bench.
2. Never have more than one kind and weight of bullet on the reloading bench.
3. Never have more than one kind of primer on the reloading bench.
4. Before you put the powder away re-read the label to make sure it is what you thought you were loading.
5. Before you leave the reloading area check the scale to make sure it was set where you thought it was set.
6. Don't forget to buy a bullet puller before you start loading.
7. There is a lot of air in a new container of powder. Don't consolidate powders to save space. If there is a fire the space allows for burning instead of exploding.

That's super advice. If I might add one more, if at all possible, use a second scale to double-check the first one.

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

Genius has limits; stupidity does not