Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by GF1
Yes, and it kicks significantly more as well. Of the two, for a mountain rifle, I'd lean to a lighter 7mm Mag as it can be built lighter because of it's lighter recoil. Better yet, an even lighter .270 or .280.

Ditto. smile

I don't kid myself that a 300 magnum doesn't throw more "flack" than the smaller stuff....but it comes at a price in recoil and rifle weight that I am not willing to pay anymore.

I muscled through a sight-in session Monday morning with a 300 Weatherby and 200 gr AB's loaded to 3050 fps. The thing is fabulousand in a sick way it was sort of fun..... But reminded me why I don't own one any more. smile

I got through the session and it was very accurate, but it romped. smile

For reference,and while the 300 Weatherby experience was fresh in my mind, I shot my 7mm Mashburn and a 270 on Tuesday...even though a full pound lighter (8#'s)the Mashburn recoiled as fast but not as heavy and was just easier to control....the 270(about 7 pounds) even more so and very easy to shoot.

These days I would take the 270 or the Mashburn on a mountain.Mostly that's what I have been doing for the past 20 years or so on any western hunt.

I agree, I'm not a gunwriter but I have shot both plenty off the bench and killed game with both. For something the size of sheep both are more than required, not a bad thing but gun weight is the big factor. Shoot both in a rifle you're willing to tote around the mountains after sheep, then decide neither will leave you wanting more cartridge.

Isaiah 6:8