Originally Posted by Jamison
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
I just ran through the RPO's on a used truck I picked up and it shows it has the eaton G80 locking rear differential. Anyone out there have/had one and knows the positives or negatives?

Just do a google search on the Gov-lock locking diff... It is quite possibly the most hated locker in the off road world. They are known for coming apart inside the diff due to being made of cast metal instead of nodular iron. The mechanics behind how it works make it a ticking time bomb if you put any heavy use on it off-road. It'll probably last if you just occasionally go off-road or don't pull anything or if you don't run an oversized tire...They aren't really re-buildable without a $200 tool, so if it ever gives you trouble, put a real locker like a Detroit or an ARB in and don't look back.

That's interesting. My '04 diesel has a G80. It tows occasionally. The daily driver tune for several years has been 750/1350 and I'm not easy on it....never a problem with the diff. A couple years of dragstrip runs at 900+hp/1700tq and still no broken gear. I know several guys who make more power than I do and race their trucks a lot more than I race mine......those differentials just don't have problems. I know guys who sledpull competitively with built engines....no problems. I know guys who do a lot of heavy towing....no problems ever. A lot of guys run big tires and enhanced power.....they don't have problems either. And I've never on any diesel forum heard of anyone breaking one of those differentials either towing or offroad. But after reading your post I guess mine's gonna break any time.