I typically load a few close (if not kissing) to the lands. I run them over the chrony to check pressure/velocity. If I'm where I want to be, I load three at .030" off, 3 at .050" off and 3 at .070" off. For some reason, I always shoot the .050" off loads on paper first. Then the .070", then the .030". Just a routine I follow...

Usually, I find something with those 9 shots that looks promising. If I feel like tinkering more, I adjust accordingly based on what the first three groups showed.

I did this exact thing earlier today with a 243, 85TSX and 46.5grs of Hunter. The rifle was sighted in for the 90gr Deep Curl load I'd developed for my daughter.

First three at .050" off...they were low and to the right.

[Linked Image]

Adjusted the scope (not enough) and shot the .070" off loads...

[Linked Image]

Let things cool down and shot the .030" off group...

[Linked Image]

I'm done. Three clicks to the left and I'll verify zero again after the wind settles down tonight. I'll bust some steel tomorrow afternoon at 300 yards to verify the load and hopefully load development is complete.

Barnes are very sensitive to seating depth and this is a perfect example. I've never had great success with them really close to the lands, but have found sweet spots as far as .130" off.

Not super scientific, but I can usually find a good load in less than 20 rounds.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!