Sig
<br>I dont have an answer for you . I wish I did. I am working with an engineer freind of mine and he is doing some testing on the effects of temperature. Something I have always wondered about is with a scope mounted on the reciever in say 70 degree weather both would be a certain length. Drop 50 degrees from that and will the aluminum contract at exactly the same rate as steel ? Is there enough difference to matter ? What effect does it have on the scope ? Point of impact ? If the scope contracts more than the reciever does the scope bend or slide inside the rings ? Hopefully pretty soon I will have some good solid data to support whatever we find. I do know that you can take a Remington factory gun and torque the barrel to say 100 foot pounds at 80 degrees then heat the barreled action to about 300 degrees and get an average of about an eighth of a turn ! Enough to get the headspace way out. Why would I try this ? To find out if the threaded joint is stable at that temperature. If its not then the barrel can move around slightly inside the reciever ring. Not good for accuracy. I will post the results when I get them.
<br>Charlie Sisk

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj