Seems to me that this is one of those subjects that everyone's opinion will be different, and most of em's not wrong either. My all time favorite .300 Savage bullet is the 150gr. Nosler Partition. Kind'a spendy but BOY do they work! Don't have to push 'em very hard either. I personally gave up trying to "soup up" my .300 a long time ago. Why beat up a classic that is not made anymore when a more moderate load works so dang well? According to John Nosler, a 40.0gr. load of the old IMR 4064 powder is the recommended max for his 150gr. partition in a .300 Savage and is the most accurate to boot. I know that other load books show hotter loads, and everyone has their fav'rit load recipe (and they are all great. Really.) but, in my experience, ol' John was right. That load shoots ak'rit in my rifle, the deer drop so quick it's amazing, the "exit hole" well, you can stick several fingers in it, and it does not seem hard on either the old rifle or the brass. Just about perfect in my book. For just shootin', I have yet to find a 150gr. bullet that my .300 doesn't like just fine. But as long as I can still git 'em, I'll shoot the partition for my deer huntin' and use all the rest for targets. Just sayin.......

No such thing as Ex-Marine, same goes for Postal.......