Originally Posted by Chappy410
I have noticed that people tend to shun buying a reblued or refinished Savage 99 on Gunbroker.com, GunsAmerica.com and also at the LGS.
What are your thoughts on buying a professionally restored that looks as good as the day it was manufactured?
Why would you or would you not buy such a rifle?

Chappy...

As a hunter/shooter (not a "Collector"), it doesn't matter to me whether a fine rifle, shotgun or handgun is re-blued or not as long as it's done well and the lettering on the firearm is original and not blurred or damaged. But in the final analysis, even a shooter like me would prefer a firearm with original bluing.

However, it's easily understandable why a person who collects fine firearms would want any firearm they bought to be completely original... i.e., exactly the way it came from the factory.

This Forum is called "Savage Collectors"... even tho' a fair number of us aren't collectors, but just guys who appreciate a fine rifle, shotgun or handgun and find the Savage Model 99 to be an excellent example to be one.

I only own a single Model 99, but it's my "go-to" rifle for deer hunting and has been ever since I've owned it. And, frankly, even though I was a hunter for over 60 years, I have never felt there was a better eastern deer rifle than the Model 99. Thus, my reason for desiring & owning a pristine 1953 Model 99 (EG) in .300 Savage caliber.

Some crazy gun-owners like me simply like to own the BEST... and let's face it, there isn't a better made or better looking rifle on earth for deer hunting than a Model 99 EG, but of course, Joe (MadDog), a valued member of this Forum, wouldn't agree with me. But that's ok 'cause Joe is a bit "odd", don't cha know! Hahahahahahaha... laugh ... but we "treasure" him anyway. grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...