I recently came by a barreled action acquired from a friend who once owned his own gun shop. He put together the package as a project in the early 80s but it never fully got off the ground.

It has a NIB FN long action with proof marks and a serial number -- 916x -- but no other identifiers -- name, model etc. The bolt handle has been bent to accommodate a scope and it has a serial number 4296X engraved on the under side. The action is drilled and tapped -- the rear hole is through and through. It has a rollover safety.

He got the barreled action from a supplier in PA in the early 1980s who is now out of business. It then had a 30.06 barrel with no markings -- which I now have too -- and an ER Shaw Bridgeport .300 RM barrel serial #GD 89x -- unfired -- now mounted to the action. No iron sights. The bolt face has been opened to the magnum caliber.

There is no floorplate or action screws.

I have a very nice piece of dense English walnut begging to be a project around this action. But I have a lot of questions about what I really have and whether it is worth the further investment as a high end project. Other options are to just get a floor plate and decent bolt-on stock too or junk the action.

Thanks for any help on this one.

1B