I'm having Tom at Accurate molds design a few bullets for my ROA. The larger of them is for the possibility of a bear hunt and needed a secondary weapon if trailing is necessary.

Considering that I may very well want to try them in sabots through my 1:48" twist Lyman's Deerstalker after resizing them to fit a pistol bullet sabot, I'm considering an idea I've seen from another heavy lead bullet meant for shooting from muzzleloaders in that it has a boattail.

I haven't had him work on this bullet yet, but the rough idea so far is to have a large meplat of .375", driving bands of .455", a short boattail of .1-.15" long, and an overall length of no more than .70" so it'll fit in my loading window on my pistol, though the length would actually need to be no longer than 0.55" from the base of the first driving band to the nose as the rest will be seated in the chamber. I'm thinking I still want that to be rather short so as not to have too much difficulty with chamber capacity since powder compresses upon loading.

Checking a bullet stabilizing calculator it seems that the length of a 255 grn (Kaido bullet) .45 cal bullet I have is the ideal length for a muzzleloader and a 48" twist. Does anyone have experience launching a bullet a bit longer (~.70" OAL) at around 1700 fps? Will this likely stabilize well to shoot as far as 175 yds?

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day