Fellow 'Fire members and makers;
On the fatwood theme, I thought I'd snap a couple quick photos of some fatwood in process so to speak.

Here's a shot of how I do it nowadays - a tip of the hat here goes to Okanagan as he's showed me a better way to slice the fatwood chunks in a thread here.

[Linked Image]

The slightly wider x thinner pieces - 3/4" x 1/8" - that I now use are easier to break in half if starting with a flame and as well are easier to make "fatwood shavings" with if starting with a ferro rod.

This is a shot of the old method I was using which resulted in pieces that were more like 1/2" x 1/2". Still usable to be sure, but less handy for both breaking apart and making shavings for a ferro rod start.
[Linked Image]

It's a good time of year to split off fatwood and play with new techniques of fire starting I find. As an added bonus it makes the garage - and my good wife's car - smell like fatwood rather than meat since we cut meat in there too. grin

Anyway, hopefully that was some use to somebody out there this first morning of 2014. All the best to you all this year.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"