Originally Posted by bigswede358
So is Wetterlings or Hultafors better, or about the same?

As you might imagine, Wetterlings, Hultafors, and Gr�nsfors Bruk axes are all common here in Sweden where all are made.

After looking lots of examples of all three brands (and a smaller brand whose name I can't think of right now), at a number of stores, I see fairly small differences in the design of their heads.

I haven't used the Wetterling or Hultafors so I can't comment on the steel or tempering, but many of the guys I have hunted with have Gr�nfors Bruk so I have used them quite a bit. I am impressed with how sharp they come, how hard the edges are and how the polls are softer (as they should be).

However, I have seen both Wetterling and Hultafors sometimes come with handles with bad grain alignment, making for a weaker handle. By "sometimes", I'd guess perhaps 20% of the Wetterling and Hultafors I have seen in stores. Of course how far a handle has to be from perfect grain alignment to be "bad" is subjective and I just using my judgement as a woodworker.

I have not seen a Gr�nsfors Bruk axe or hatchet with what I would consider "bad" grain alignment, although a few were not ideal in my opinion.

Overall, I'd say that if you can pick out the very axe or hatchet that you will purchase, just pay attention to the grain in the handle and you will be fine with any of the three brands.

If you are getting your chopper via mail order, I think Gr�nfors Bruk is the safest bet -- I think they just pay more attention to grain flow than the other two makers.

John