I had my left shoulder replaced in November and my doctor allows me to shoot 22 caliber rifles with my right arm from a rest. He only allows me to hold 5 lbs in my left hand. The first two months the limit was 2 lbs. I am using 55gr GMX loads in a 20� 223 Contender and 64gr Nosler AB in a 223 AR-15 for deer hunting this season. It would be nice if they both liked the same load. I can only shoot from a stand using bags. No shooting offhand for another two months. Don�t sell the 223 short. With good bullets, it will take deer and hogs. So far I have only shot one doe and no hogs. The doe was taken with the AR. She was shot behind the shoulder at 85 yards. The Nosler went through and the doe ran 20 yards, stopped, staggered around then fell down kicking.

If you are concerned about recoil, shoot a heavy rifle. My 22-250 weighs more than the Contender or AR and it recoils less than either. BUT it weighs over 10 pounds. I also have a 7GNR (7x30 Improved) with a 25� bull barrel in a Contender. The 7GNR runs just below US factory 7x57 ammo. It seems to have a little more recoil than the 223s so I am sticking with them. Besides my doctor said 22 caliber only.

Say, you don�t think he meant 22LR, do you? whistle whistle

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member