Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by rost495
according to bits I"ve read about this the last few days, CHP controls everything on the highway, unlike here in TX.

Here, I have the ability to shut the road down if I deem it needed.

We TRY not to unless absolutely needed, but if its critical for example and I need to put a helo down in the road and no other choice, its shut down without a second thought and no LE will challenge it here.

I suspect there might, as usual, be a lot more behind the scenes on this one.

I get daily updates on fire incidents nationwide so we'll sure hear more at some point.

if I am not mistaken, in Florida, whoever shows up first, fire/rescue or LEO, can make that decision. Once FHP shows up though, the State Law officer takes command.

Maybe not all Florida firefighters know the law. We had an almost identical confrontation a few years back (OK, probably 15 or more) on the Beeline between Cocoa and Merritt Island, Florida. It is a divided 4-lane highway and, as I recall, the accident was in the right lane and the firetruck was used to also block the left lane. After refusing to move the truck, the firefighter ended up cuffed and in the back of the patrol car.