Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by 22WRF

do you ever worry about carbon monoxide poisoning when heating a closed shelter.

No. Mankind has been burning wood since long before we had the internet.

I have wondered about taking a lightweight bucket and carrying a bucket full of campfire coals into a shelter instead of setting up stove and stovepipe. There are warnings about charcoal (briquettes ?) causing monoxide poison inside even a floorless shelter.

Any experts know whether plain old campfire coals will cause dangerous level of monoxide inside a floorless ventilated tipi or other shelter? Few to no hardwoods in my part of the world so such coals would not last a long time but would warm a small space for a little while.

I'm no expert but I can about guarantee if you take a bucket of campfire coals into a tent, you'll soon be evacuating or dead. Yes, this would likely cause carbon monoxide poisoning, in fact, almost certainly.

The reason a wood stove is pretty safe is the same reason it is safe to use a woodstove in a house. The combustion is contained in the firebox and all exhaust gas, goes out the pipe. In fact, that draft is what makes a woodstove of any flavor work. If it is drafting, there is virtually no way any gas can escape back into the tent as it would have to move against the draft, which really isn't physically possible, assuming no gasses are escaping at pipe junctures. Even still, the heat, smoke, gases etc are rising out the top of the tent, through the pipe, and drawing in fresh air continually. I'd say it is pretty safe.

Don't take a bucket of fireplace coals in your tent.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com