I have hunted with them all. I guess I fall under the term "hard core handgun hunter", I love the challenge.
From 22, 357, 41, 10mm, 44mag, 454Casull. I have come full circle and back to the 44mag for all my hunting needs and back to open sights. Its light enough to carry all day but still have plenty of power. I am a reloader for all my hunting rounds and like a bullet to expand rather than a solid. There is two schools of thoughts on this and have found the newer controlled expanding bullets drop em quickest. It also keeps my loads down to a mid level and still opens up the bullet. I don't have to push them as fast and in turn keeps my accuracy up for longer range shots. My longest handguns shot in my carrer was two years ago at 175 yards on a large mature doe. I hit her with a 240XTP on a broadside shot and she dropped like a bag of sand. It was a bang/flop as if she was shot with a 300 Win Mag. I'll post some pictures. The full story is on Hornady's web site since I use Hornady components. Shows that a 44mag handgun has plenty of snot even out past the normal range.

175 yard Handgun shot story at Hornady Web Site

Some of you guys might have already seen this on the S&W forum but I'll post the link too. It gives a little more details.
S&W forum discussion of the hunt.

Here are some pics. Obviously I do practice long range handgun shots (alot) and don't recommend them unless you are very confident you can make them.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Another critter taken with my trusty S&W classic 22. I took him in the neck.
[Linked Image]
He was such a nice grey fox and since it was a handgun kill, I had my taxidermist mount him cleverly under a black bear I killed years before. I think it came out great.

[img]http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj182/TheMystro1971/Foxmountnet.jpg[/img]

Last edited by mystro; 02/18/14.

The Lord loves humility.