so im building a 6.5 SAUM because I have become a 6.5 nut. My intention here is not to discredit any claims about the 6.5 SAUM. My 338 Edge and 300 Ultra mag are hammers on animals , and for long range Elk I will continue using them , However , for everything else (except Brownies) I have never felt under gunned with 6.5 anything. I shot my 6.5x284 today and it brought my total round count on this barrel to 1,410 rounds and it is still shooting like the pictures below indicate. I started with h-1000 because I had a lot of it for the edge and the 300rum. I didnt get the results I wanted and after talking to a friend went to retumbo. My cleaning regiment has been patches with Butches Bore Shine and 1 pass toward the muzzle with a bronze brush to knock out the carbon ring a bit. The point of my rambling is although I dont know the pressure on my load , the brass is warm ,not hot to the touch after firing. The load is 57.3 gr Retumbo, Lapua brass, rem 9 1/2 primers oal 3.175, ave. velocity 2965. I never get the barrel hot. I wonder how long this barrel will keep this up (Rock 8 twst. 26") , and if anyone else was getting similar results.?
[Linked Image]
6 rounds at 100M the bottom group at 300m (little wind I didnt correct , might have done better but it was 9 degrees smile )
[Linked Image]