RickF:
<br>Thanks for the nice expansion photos. I too always try to determine wound channels and recover bullets from harvested game for analysis. Unfortunately, on the one Elk I shot with a 180gr Swift Scirocco out of my .300 Wby last year, the bullet exited. The bullets launch at 3210 fps (chronoed) out of my 25" barrel and would have been traveling at about 2760 fps at the 250 yard mark, where the broadside spike tried to block that bullet with his chest. It made a nice .308" hole going in behind the front shoulder and a golf-ball sized hole going out the other side of his chest.
<br>
<br>Even if you launched these 180gr Sciroccos at 3400fps (say from a .300 RUM or .30/378), they would be traveling below 3000fps past 210 yards. The key to their performance is the plastic tip causing rapid expansion, while the bonded core prevents the bullet from becoming a frangible grenade (Aka: Ballistic tip), retaining more than enough weight to crunch onside bones and still penetrate deep.
<br>
<br>Would I choose it over a Barnes-X if the X�s shot well (.5 MOA) in one of my rifles ? In a word, "No". However, not every rifle shoots Barnes-X�s well, while the Sciroccos have been every bit as accurate as Nosler Ballistic tips (or Sierra HPBTM) in the three rifles I�ve tried them in (7mm Rem, .300 Wby, 30/378). For those Western hunters who occasionally "stretch" their barrels a little, the 180 Scirocco has a great BC and can deliver a ton of energy downrange to 540yds. I hope to have 3 more deer harvest reports this Fall, as I�m loaning the 7mm (150 gr) to a partner for Oregon�s deer season (Owyhee unit, desert and sagebrush flats) and carrying the .300 Wby for Oregon/Idaho deer. I have a box of Swift�s new 210gr Scirocco�s in .338 Caliber on order, for testing in my .340 Wby. Film at eleven .......
<br>
<br>... Silver Bullet
<br>RickB .... I�m still working on the 7mm write-up (I promise).
<br>