Just how "fancy" or good a binocular you really need is, of course, up to you to determine.
I spent many years, as in 40 plus, using a 9X35 B&L Zephur. Many a time, I really needed something sharper. So, I bought my first Leica about 13 yrs ago. Since then, I've bought another Leica, and several other binoculars.
What I've found along the way is that alot of companys that make binoculars have really improved their products. The Pentax ED, 8X43 I tried out a few years ago was every bit as good as the 8x42 Leica I bought in 2001 or 2002.
The one I carry use the most these days is my 8X32 Nikon LX. But when I really need to see well at extended distances, out comes the heavy 12X50 Leica BN.
I might add that additional weight can make a significant difference even with equal optics. The Pentax ED I mentioned does not perform as well as the Leica 8X42 at extended ranges. Not because it isn't up to the job, but because the image shake makes seeing fine detail so tough. It's the same with eye strain. The heavier the binocular, the easier it is on the eyes.
Good luck. I firmly believe it's worth the effort to find what works best for you. I'd consider the above Pentax and the Meopta/Cabela's Euro as well in your search. E