Originally Posted by Eclipse

I have $5 - $7k to spend on this hunt (maybe a little more). I am bound by my financials. I am looking for some outfitter names that produce respectable Mule deer in that price range. A few names that guys know have good reputations and personal experience. My best bet is Ranching For Wildlife outfitters in the US. I have no preference points and do not intend to get any. That as well will put me in a specific size animal and outfitters. That is also why I am looking into (and leaning more towards) Alberta. For a guy with no prefrence points and $7,000 to spend, Alberta seems to be more realistic option.

Your best bet will be eastern CO or Alberta. You are on the right track. With no preference points(PP) you will have to find an outfitter with landowner vouchers and the system is supposed to change this coming year so here in CO we are a little in the dark until they let us know whats changing. We have landowners with a lot of PP but with the system changing they may be worthless to us.

I wouldn't book a hunt until CO says what the changes are as there are some terrific mule deer and whitetail out here on the plains. Most hunts would fit your budget and DIA is basically on the plains so travel is super easy.

I would look for an outfitter that hunts multiple units, leases a lot of ground and has a track record of killing really big deer. There are only a couple I would recommend and I am happy to share that via PM. I will also post up some pictures of some big plains deer in a bit