Had a magnum sporter in 260s around 23" in Standard fill, if I build a sporter to tote, I'd want it around 7 1/4 - 7.5# probably all up.

Re: heavy bbls, I too have had many, often varmint contour, have a light palma now in a 6.5x47 that I am very fond of....

If I build a heavier contour i.e. #4 Bart or Light Palma, its use will be dedicated to stand hunting and bench work. Looking to do a 7/08, had many in the past, always wanted to have a custom done up. Seen a few guns that looked very nice that had 21" #4 Bartleins in 308 that were built for hunting. A rifle like this will not be carried much.

I found the links to that 2.5 - it was a Krieger, so perhaps not the same as a "Tweener" Bartlein, but it is in 222.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/...0931#4821060931

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/...7641#6471097641

None the less, I agree, if an edge, need lighter to match/balance. I just never was fond of muzzle light or really light rifles, so a 2.5 or it sounds like a 2B might be the ticket if I were to use it mostly in the field and for extended carry. Yes, I have used lighter bbls in stands, but I would not want a short light bbl. 22-23" would be the length.

Seems hard to justify going full custom in a standard sporter that is in a chambering that you can buy in a factory rifle...but I know many 7/08 sporters are built in #2 and #3 specs, so owners felt so inclined.

If I hang on to my 47, I suppose I could let it be my bench rifle, just always wanted to see what a custom 7/08 would do re: accuracy, and heavier is simply steadier for me. Shot some groups in the .2s and .3s at 200 yds with a 21" 700 Varmint 7/08 that I threw in a VLS stock that was only floated, factory adjusted trigger. Fluted that rifle would have been more portable, it was better in an HS stock that I used on occasion.

Strictly as a stand rifle, if I want to really stretch a shot in more open country, I feel more confident in holding POA thru shot cycle. Experience for me has been a 20-21" gets out a window much easier than longish tube.

So 2B - I will have to check that out if I go that route, does anyone know the muzzle OD at 22-23" if shank cut back to lose excess weight.