I've seen all of the sites on feral cats during my research. I think that the trap neuter and release is a good idea in small towns and cities where there is an abundance of food sources created by humans as in refuse and garbage which attract another food source for the cats like rodents. In these situations the cats do perform a necessary function of keeping the rodent population down and by neutering them it keeps their population controlled.

Having said that, in a semi rural/ suburban neighborhood where the only food source is a little old lady that supplies food for these cats and does not provide any medical care, the feral cat population gets out of control to the point where cats out number neighbors and everyone's yard becomes a stinky litter box. Without dumpsters of garbage found in the small towns/cities, trap, neuter and release does not address the health and safety issues that these feral colonies create in the neighborhood.

In these more rural communities there aren't laws on the books to control the feeding of these colonies or any type of community funded relocation program to remove these un-neutered, un-vaccinated feral colonies.

So I think you can understand the frustration many must feel having their property and their neighborhood overrun by colonies of feral cats only because perhaps an animal lover refuses to stop providing food for these colonies.

Local shelters won't take feral cats and if they do many will destroy them..for a donation. That money can add up. Many here feel it's cheaper to do it themselves. They aren't anymore serial killer material than the man or woman at the shelter operating the gas chamber.

Most of the laws on the books do a great deal toward protecting these feral colonies and do very little protecting the rights of homeowners.

That's why I'm very thankful to the local, coyotes, hawks and black bears. I am much indebted to them.

Dan