I went down to Red Bluff, CA last Friday with a buddy to do a little hog hunting.

We stayed in a little ranch cabin:

[Linked Image]

We met with the guide and began glassing at about 4 PM Friday.

We glassed valleys like this:

[Linked Image]

and This:
[Linked Image]

we spotted a group of pigs grazing in a wheat field north of us. The Wheat had just sprouted seed heads and was "tasty". The field was adjacent to a small pond that the pigs had been wallowing in.

The pond is the blue spot among the trees directly above the pigs butt (photo from an old hunt). There is a small line of greenery in the plowed fields in the photo. We will get back to this.

[Linked Image]

Wind was from the North, so we had to swing South of the pigs, and come in from the West side of them.

we drove the 4 wheeler (a polaris ranger) around, dismounted and began the stalk from about 400 yards.

The Upper field in the photo was still brown and planted in Safflower. The Lower field has greened up and had wheat that the pigs were eating was about a foot high. We crossed the Safflower feild and were about 100 yards West (crosswind) and 150 yards North. Then we began the serious part of the stalk. My Buddy had never Hog Hunted before so I gave him the first try at the pig.

The guide led us down the "green strip" between the fields (its just a small drainage canal/creek, and into the Wheat.

The pigs were gone!

The guide led us a little forward and we found them, 45 yards farther North (feeding into the wind) and in a little depression. The Giude picked out a boar, gave my buddy the OK to shoot when it turned sideways. My Buddy stared at hog balls through his scope for a minute or so, then the boar turned and the shot went off.

DROPPED it like a sack of manure! My buddy lost sight of the boar because it dropped so fast that it was gone from his view instantly!

[U[Linked Image]

A few fist bumps later, this photo was taken.

The hunt started at 4. By 5:40 the hog was dressed and in the cooler.

A hopeful beginning!

More to come

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II