I know Jeanne Horne personally, I just bought two mules off her this spring and sold her my big mule. She knows what is up in the entire area.

I have hunted out of Morapos for about the last five years in ML season. I think sometime in 2013 the forest service graveled the last few miles of road because it was in better shape, but still fairly steep in a few places and is one lane.

I have always pulled a 20 ft gooseneck into there. So far I have been lucky and not met any traffic coming the opposite way coming or going. However, I go up the Wed. before the season and don't leave until the Monday after the season closes. My information about the crowding comes from several guys who hunt the rifle season up there and a few of Jeanne's staff.

After you get about two miles up the trail,it opens up and you can see some pretty big open areas on the west side if the ridge. The guys that hunt it tell me it is a sea of orange and shooting every where. These are mostly foot hunters going up from the old Morapos campground. Those with horses that go up and over the ridge and into Horse and Salt Parks do better, but the few guys who hunt the north side of Sleepy Cat do better. It's a bitch to get there though.

The big problem with horses is as I mentioned, "no water" at the trailhead. In the 2nd season, the small streams further up may be frozen or dried up. Morapos creek down in the canyon has been a trickle at best the last few years. Last year was better due to all the rain we had in ML season. I haul my water in for my mules in 55 gal pickle barrels.There are a few beaver ponds but they are surrounded by deep mud.

I don't know the area of Thornburg or 3 Points that ro1459 mentioned, but if the road is better you might do better going in there.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles