Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dirtfarmer,

I ran the numbers for the 129 ABLR versus the 160 Matrix, using Bryan Litz's ballistic program. The 129 was given an MV of 3400 and the 160 an MV of 3000.

Aside from accuracy, the major factor for LR hunting is wind-drift, since it's the most unpredictable factor. Out to 800 yards wind-drift was virtually identical with the two loads, and even at 1000 the difference was only around 4 inches. Time-of-flight is also shorter for the 129 out to at least 800 yards, which gives game less time to move before the bullet gets there.

Not all that many years ago, hunters who wanted an open-country loads were mostly fixated on muzzle velocity. Now they seem to be fixated on the highest-BC bullet possible, when it may not really gain much. Muzzle velocity still counts for something, and a heavier, higher-BC bullet's advantages may not show up until 1000 yards or more.

I know some hunters regularly kill all sorts of stuff at 1000+, but most don't.

I've battled with the BC vr. muzzle velocity issue for a bit. Finally decided that BC wins even at ranges less than 1000.

I've proved it to myself as well

When we look at ballistics charts comparing wind drift, we are assuming the wind is a constant Xmph, when in reality, its velocity is not constant and neither is its direction.

I believe we need to look at BC as the ability not only to resist wind, but changes including velocity and direction of the wind as well.

Long and short of it is that the .300 Winchester Magnum/230 Berger OTM combination has been pretty successful of late against every other combination purposely built to win Long Range matches. grin

cool

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.