Originally Posted by Oregon45
They'll sell to competition shooters, who likely outnumber hunters in ownership of Anschutz's by a healthy margin. The speed and durability of the Fortner action is wasted on a sporter, IMHO given how few rounds(relatively speaking) most hunters fire each year unless they're also shooting competitively.

The problem with a sporter Fortner for competition is that I cannot think of one sporter class discipline that the speed afforded by the Fortner design is necessary. A Fortner action sporter seems to be an answer to a question that wasn't asked.

The locktime does not appear to be any faster than the 54 action and from the appearance of the Fortner action I suspect that the action is heavier than a 54 action which would move the balance rearward which is not a good thing for offhand shooting.

In the deep dark recesses of my memory though I seem to recall that a factory Anschutz MS Standard rifle was offered with a the fortner action, of course it would be doable since the weight limit for Standard class is 10 lb 2 oz.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.