Originally Posted by steve4102
A friend of mine purchased a Rem 700 in 300 RUM a few years ago. He hunts Elk with it and some of his shots are quite long, 500+ yards.

He wants use my equipment and load his own ammo in order to save money and to improve accuracy.

He asked me what Bullets to purchase, 180gr or a 200gr? Told him I duno, am not a Long Range Elk Hunter.

Thought I would ask you guys for some advice. What bullet weight and design do you recommend for this type of Hunting?

I'm thinking 180gr Accubond, but he feels the need for a 200gr?

Thanks

My pal came home from an elk hunt last year with two recovered 200 gr AB's and a dead 6x6.

I've never gotten too excited about the Accubond so never used them on elk but seems to me they expand to a little bigger frontal area than a Partition and seem not to penetrate quite as deep.

I have used the 180 and 200 gr Partition and have stumbled on a couple of 180's recovered from mature bulls but it took a long shot angle to stop one;and I could never find a 200 gr at all,since they all exited.

I would not hesitate to use a 180 or 200 AB but would take the Partition over either if I had a choice.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.