Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Comparing 30-06 ammo to a 257 WBY are we? Come on now you can do better then that. 30-06 ammo in the cheapest form Remington Corelockt is 23 bucks a box here, 270 WInchester Ballistic Silvertip is 39 dollars a box and these are Wally World prices, Nosler Ammo, Corbon,HSM and whatever else premium ammo is the same or more at my LGS. Prices must be cheaper in Colorado they sure are not here.

Comparing .257 Weatherby ammo costs to .30-06 (and the 7mm RM) ammo costs is exactly what I was doing. If you go back to my original post:

�Ammunition for the .257 Weatherby tends to be on the expen$ive side��
�7mm RM is a very good place to start looking � lots of factory ammo choices that are relatively inexpensive�
�you can still find [.30-06] ammo for a fraction of what .257 Weatherby or .264 WM ammo costs.�

The prices I quoted were today�s CTD and Midway internet prices. They both sell to pretty much anyone, even people from North Carolina.

The fact remains that .257 Weatherby ammo options are quite limited when compared to the .30-06 and that you can buy .30-06 ammo at a fraction of what you will pay for the cheapest .257 Weatherby ammo. Most people I know aren�t interested in plinking or even doing much practice with ammo that costs $32-$80 a box.

Thats why you hand load a 257 weatherby. Not much is going to beat a 30-06 when it comes to availability and cost that is a given.