Originally Posted by Hogeye
A .45-70 is a rifle cartridge and needs more barrel. You'll get a lot of muzzle blast and recoil in a 14", but no more killing power than a hot .45 Colt. And the same rainbow trajectory.

I agree with the posters who recommend the .357 maximum. It was specifically designed to do just what you intend to do (for IHMSA competitors) and excellent bullets are readily available. Brass is hard to find, but you can shoot .357 max loads in .357 mag brass by seating the bullets out.

The other reason I like the .357 max is practice loads. You can bang away with .38 specials at tin cans, squirrels, and whatever without ruining your hand with recoil or breaking the bank. Remember, a handgun hunter needs to be a really good shot, which means you need to fire 1,000 rounds in practice for every round at game.

Just my opinion. Good hunting.

Good post. I'll add another vote for the .357 max.

I have 10-inch Contender barrels in .357 mag, 44 mag, and 45 colt. I have a 14-inch barrel in 30-30 AI, which is far more capable than I am. Over the years and a handful of deer, I've settled into a 10-inch .357 mag with a scope on it. I shoot mostly 180-grain bullets. The combination suits my self-imposed limit of 125 yards or so. The .357 max would extend that range.

Bill

There are many copies.