Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by BBerg
Formidilosus, energy is what is needed, in the first place, to get the work of penetrating and destroying tissue done.

It comes from velocity (and mass) so saying that energy/velocity is required is, basically, quite correct, in my opinion.

The thing is that being necessary, it is not enough, so yes, you need a bullet of the proper construction offering a good balance of expansion and penetration.

And yes, you need to place it properly. In my opinion, as all bullets carry some energy/velocity, and all of them are capable of some kind of expansion and penetration, bullet placement is most important, there being no substitute for a well placed shot.

Saludos,

Alvaro

Ok. Please explain how 900 "ft-lbs energy" destroys tissue. And does a solid destroy the same tissue that a varmint bullet does if they both have the same energy?

Formidilosus,

I think that the explanation is in my previous post, already... "energy, being necessary is not enough... you need a bullet of the proper construction... there being no substitute for a well placed shot..."

While energy in itself will not do it, you will need energy to do it.

You need energy in the form of some mass -bullet, arrow, etc.- driven at some velocity... or please explain to me how do you expect tissue to be destroyed without using/spending any energy.

You think you deer will die by showing him a picture of a loded cartridge? smile

Alvaro