I was hoping I could get advice on purchasing a new rifle for my kids to use, preferably from those of you that have gone through this process with your kids already. I have calibers that are adequate currently but was thinking of getting a compact rifle for them to use with a shorter length of pull. I looked at the Ruger American (already have a full sized .243) but I'm don't think I want any more rifles with an 18" barrel. The new tikka compact has a smaller stock and 20" barrel which is appealing. I already have a .308 and .223 rem in the tikka t3 platform so I know what I'm getting there as well. I'm debating on getting either a .243 or .308 in that package or cutting down one of my current stocks to a shorter length of pull and buying a BC medalist when I need to go back to a full size stock. Will it be too barrel heavy with the cut stock? I have Cabelas gift cards to buy the new rifle and have an extra scope or two around.

Options I'm looking at:

1) Cut the stock on a current rifle (spend cards on other stuff)
2) buy a tikka t3 compact
3) Which caliber .243 or .308 (I already reload both)
4) Put 3x9 conquest on the .243 RAR and not worry about them crawling the stock. Mine seems to have +4 inches of eye relief.