A friend of mine just recently bought a Weatherby Mark V(I'm not at all knowledged on a Weatherby, it's above my pay grade), 270 Weatherby Mag.,Japanese manufacture (late 70's, early 80's he thinks)in like new condition. He just got around to shooting it with the handloads provided with the rifle. At 100 yrds. the 3 shot group was abysmal, and at 200 yrds. only got 2 of 3 on a 11x17 sheet of paper. The barrel also got "very" hot with only 2 shots downrange. We will go thru the usual check of scope/ mounts and obvious bedding issues. But,were hoping that someone knowledged with the Weatherby,s could tell us if the barrel should be free-floated or have a pressure-point similar to a Remington. Also, are there any specific torque settings on the bedding screws! Once we're satisfied that the rifle appears to be OK, we'll start trying to build a load for it. Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks, memtb

This post was moved to "Hunting Rifles" - this is what happens when I attempt to post at 02:30 hrs.

Last edited by memtb; 09/07/14.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024