Originally Posted by BobinNH
Is it for sale? grin

Sorry Bob, The pics are of two different rifles. I don't think their owner had them built to later sell on the secondary market.

Originally Posted by Orion2000
Roll my own H&H. Have plenty of components on hand. Don't get out often. When I do, I put at least one box of cartridges in each piece of luggage. To-date, have never had to "go look" for ammo when I got somewhere.

Beautiful rifles. Did you do the stock work ? If not, do you mind sharing who did ? I like the open grip and the fact that the grain flows thru the wrist... Well done...

Thanks Orion, I built the stocks. Roger Vardy supplied the exceptional matched pair of blanks from Australia. I'm more than a little picky when it comes to what wood I work on. As you mentioned, grain flow through the whole stock is paramount.

I'm a big fan of the 300 H&H as it's a truly classic cartridge. Around here, even with a Cabelas it's been impossible to find any loaded ammo or brass in the Black Hills. Every store had 300 WinMag on the shelf. Here's a graceful 300H&H I built a few years back.
[Linked Image]
My personal elk rifle is a 30-338 Mag. Built on an 09 Argentine years ago in GSmithing school. Laminate stock, Devcon, freefloated tack driving workhorse. 180 gr @ 3150FPS will take care of anything I care to hunt here in the US. I don't get any calls to build similar though. My brother even sent back the 30-338 I built for him. Now he wants it rebarreled to 300 WinMag. After several years of goofing around with a wildcat, he just wants a "normal" cartridge capable of getting the job done. I got on a history kick in school at TSJC and wanted to build a 30 Newton. You know, the grandaddy 30 magnum designed in 1913. Since brass was hard to come by, I settled on the 30-338. Or 30 Belted Newton. I still can't figure out why the Newton never caught on. IMHO, it should be the standard classic cartridge available today at every sporting goods store and gas station that sells ammo.

The availability of the 300 WinMag is the reason It's my favorite 300 magnum. Does it make it better than the other options? Nope

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker