Cross, dad was a WWII Navy SeaBee who entered the service in March of 1942 and served for the duration.

He was a quiet man when it came to his service, he made little mention of it throughout his life - once identifying a waterfall in a New Guinea documentary we were watching,long before an announcer. Other times grousing about going shopping -he'd once been sent to places in this world where no man should have to go, back when he had no choice, now he did, so he wasn't going...

I learned much about his Sea Bee life at his funeral from members of his battalion that were there. I'd love to share them around a fire if we ever meet.

Here's something I grabbed of the internet some time ago and posted on a family group on FaceBook:

Dad was a Sea Bee in WWII. Doing a bit of a search I found these comments from two distinguished leaders from that war - H.M. (Howlin Mad) Smith and Roy Geiger. Fine tributes to those of our greatest generation:

'NEVER LET US DOWN' As the former Commanding General of the Fifth Amphibious
Corps and Commanding General Fleet Marine Force, Pacific, it gives me great pleasure to
send a brief message to the bi-weekly magazine SEABEE for their final and souvenir
edition. In my humble opinion the formation of the Seabees was one of the finest
developments of this last war. The outstanding work of the Seabees and their magnificent
courage in battle played a most Important part in the successful prosecution of the war.
It was not an unusual sight to witness the Seabees performing their duties under heavy
fire. It was an inspiring sight, for instance, to see them working on one end of the airfield
while the Marines were fighting on the other end. They were equally at home with the
tools of their profession or with the weapons with which they were armed. The spirit of
brotherhood existing between the Marines and the Seabees was forged in the holocaust
of battle. Perhaps I can sum up this brief message in these few words, "THE SEABEES
NEVER LET US DOWN." With sincere personal regards, H. M. SMITH Lieutenant General
U. S. Marine Corps
'UNBELIEVABLE CONTRIBUTION'
We of the Marine Corps know firsthand, perhaps better than anyone else, the almost
unbelievable contribution that the Seabees have made to victory.
Many times we have fought side by side in the early stages of battle, before there was
room for you to proceed with your assigned construction projects. While we pressed
farther Inland, you laid aside your arms-but not too far away-to pick up your working
tools and build highways, airports, supply depots and innumerable other projects,
It was a comforting thought to know as we pushed the enemy back that you were right
behind us with your bulldozers and your tractors, your graders and your power shovels guaranteeing us roads to bring up our supplies and ammunition and to return our
wounded, and airports for our planes to use in supporting our troops and in pushing the
attack.
During the interludes between operations, fortunate Indeed was the unit that was located
near a Construction Battalion. Then, the more peaceful pursuits of erecting a flagpole,
repairing a watch, were child's play at the hands of the Seabees.
The Marines who have fought together with you against the Jap will never forget the
support you have given us unfailingly from Guadalcanal to Tokyo. The bond of fellowship
between Marines and Seabees, forged by the heat of battle, Is one which I am sure will
last as long as there are veterans of these organizations left to recount firsthand
experiences of the many hard-won battles of the war.
On behalf of all Marines in the Pacific, I want to my thank you, and well done!
ROY S. GEIGER
Lieutenant General, U.S.M.C.,
Commanding General, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific

Last edited by Monkey_Joe; 09/22/14.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.