A properly done Cerakote job will not chip off. I have sample barrels stored in a drainage ditch behind my shop. I let people abuse these barrels to see how sturdy it is. It is far and away the most durable finished you can have applied short of hard chrome. It's tougher than the black that comes on a Glock slide.

It will stand up to anything that the base metal will take. If you put a sharp edge to you can get under the metal and scrape it off but it will dent with the metal and not come off. Other coatings really are just good paint. Cerakote is ground up ceramic beads suspended in an epoxy. I've seen it made in person. The key to it's durability is the surface profile blasted into the surface for the Cerakote to mechanically lock into. Too short of profile it will chip, to deep of profile it can't cover the peaks and will wear off over the peaks and rust prematurely. Just read the application instructions on the Cerakote website and quiz the applicator to be sure he follows he protocols. You can find the nearest applicators here. http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resource/locator/

Midnight Blue is a lot closer in color to original bluing but it will not fool anyone. Nothing looks like bluing other than the real thing.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO