Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...However, over here we�re starting to hunt wild boar (feral) a lot at night, and consequently our scopes for those uses are changing. But in many areas we don�t have the restrictions on hunting pigs. Basically, anything goes, because they�re such pests. Consequently in many areas (including Texas, which has the largest pig population in North America) we can use night-vision scopes, which are far more effective than the brightest European scopes...

I have owned night binoculars of ancient generations (probably russian surplus)and have observed wild boar through their barrels.

I understand the newer generation instruments are much more efficient.

I can't see the day when night-vision riflescopes will be legalized for night hunting in Europe as these are classified military material.

I personnally would'nt object to their use, because wild boar population is out of control in many areas despite repeated drive hunts. I would rather use a night-vision riflescope to cull the animals than be forced to disperse birth control chemicals in the nature.

Here's some images for those who are not familiar with drive-hunting. This is the result of a friday-saturday drive hunt in the Alsatian Vosges mountains (north eastern France) that yielded 75 wild boar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99iYo9L1vk

Comments are in french, but for those that do not understand the language images speak for themselves.