Originally Posted by zeissman
The OP asked about a scope for his fine looking custom .308 rifle. Assuming he bought it for hunting, which may well be a false assumption on my part, a Leupold 2.5-8x36 or similar sounds like a fine choice.

Does a hunter shoot thousands of rounds a year through his hunting rifle? Doubt it. Does he/she need a scope that doesn't fog, has clear optics, is not too heavy and keeps it's zero? Yes. Leupold scopes fit this criteria at a good price point

Thank you. Im on my phone now and it would take me 3 days to type that. Exactly my point.

Formy---have you had said scope fail on a hunting rifle? I have owned 3 and all performed fine. One has been on a 1953 M70 30-06 forever.

If you'll spare me the military stuff , I'll spare telling you that I shoot LR, I've owned 100s of rifles/scopes, loaded 10s of thousands of rounds, and had bunches of scopes fail. But only 1 of over 50 something Leupolds.

I have a Mark 4 16x40 M1 that is on its THIRD set of turrets. For LR I use it and a couple of NXSs. All 3 track perfectly, and yes, I'm fully qualified to make this claim. I have been a turret twister for a very long time.

Military experience is great. But I don't see how it is relevant every time "the average hunter" as you say, asks for a recommendation for a hunting rifle scope.

Asking old timers like Charlie how he tests his scopes in order to "prove'" to you his credibility is nothing short of ludicrous. The guy has been killing critters consistently with Leupold scopes probably as long as you have been alive. Such a man is simply going to tell you to GFY every time. As he should.

Not trying to pick a fight. You seem like an okay dude. It's only the posers whom I can't stand.

Hopefully you will pick up what I'm trying to lay down here.

Gotta run. Later....