Well, I hope not to offend anyone who are die hard Accubond fans...but I gonna have to stick w/ the TTSX's out of my 300 wsm.

A while back I was wondering what to expect using a 165gr Accubond on moose. In some areas that I hunt, the terrain can get very thick. I wanted a bullet that would leave a good blood trail, so I thought I would try the Accubond.

On Sept 19th my hunting partner shot a 51" bull from across the slough we were hunting. The shot was about 270ish yds away. We saw the bull fall in chest high weeds. We got in the boat and headed our way to him. Once there, he was gone. Suddnenly we heard him next to the tree line about 100 yds away. One shot to the neck and he was done. Since it was nearing the end of the day and we had a boat ride back to camp, we just rolled the guts out, flipped him on his back and let him stay until the next morning.

The next morning we rode back to him and started cleaning, sawing, breaking bones....another bull heard these sounds and came in to fight. He was across the slough from where my friend had shot the previous evening. I grabbed my rifle, went to the edge of the water and shot him at about 200yds. He lifted his front leg and started to walk directly away from me. I shot once more and thought I had misssed. Found out I just skinned him.

We got in the boat and found that he bedded about 60 yds away.. A shot to the back of the head and he was dispatched.

When I started skinning him, I noticed that the front shoulder was very deep, purple, blue, and red...Upon further inspection, I did not see where the bullet made it past that shoulder at all.I did not find the bullet, but it was not a pass through. I would not believe that one small bullet made such a mess out of the shoulder. If you have been around a moose, you know they have huge shoulders. Almost the entire shoulder was wasted.

I think I may have used too light of an Accubond and if maybe i had used a 180 or 200 gr bullet, it would have penetrated and behaved better.

So I think that in the Bigger Game area, I will stick to the 168gr TTSX's

I have a picture of the moose before skinning if somene would like to see it.

Send me your addy and I will send it to you.

Steve